Youth Rangers, a program for girls and boys 10-15 years old, is a next step for those who are looking to use their Nordic skiing skills as a base for wider experience in winter travel, back country skiing, ski patrol, ski instruction, and other aspects of Nordic Skiing.
Participants will meet for three-hour (9:00-12:00) Saturday morning sessions for 8 weeks. Through skiing, the students will be introduced to best practices techniques:
- Backcountry skiing techniques: self-rescue and basic telemark turning and speed control
- Knowing the environment: reading the snow and weather, being prepared and being safe
- Knowing your equipment: preparing the skis, dressing for the day out and emergency repairs
- Wayfinding navigation: knowing where you are and how to get to where you want to go
- Nutrition & hydration: fueling your body appropriately, back country kitchens and food preparation
- Shelter: planned winter camps and emergency shelters
- First-aid: an introduction to knowing what and what not to do
Certain specific instruction will under the guidance of Ski Patrol members, Mt. Spokane Rangers, and other experienced outdoor adventure enthusiasts.
Students will be expected to carry a small backpack that has enough space to carry the ten essentials https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html. Wider touring skis will be more stable on off trail routes. Combi Skate/Classic boots with hinged plastic ankle support also work very well in the backcountry. Lastly, leg gaitors will be essential to keep the snow out of the children's boots.
If you have questions about the Youth Rangers program, please contact Kurt Gauss at email@example.com please use the subject line: Youth Rangers.
In order to register a participant for Youth Rangers, Parent or Guardian must be a Spokane Nordic member. You can become a member by filling out our on-line membership form
If you are a past member but have not renewed your membership for this year, please renew now.
If you previously filled out a registration form and would like to add another child or children, please complete a new (2nd) registration form.
If you are having problems renewing your membership and/or signing up for Youth Rangers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
. We will help resolve the issue.